Saturday 13 July 2013

Placement Update

Where to begin? Literally!! First of all i'm going to state a hard fact, if you're contemplating about going into nursing because it'll be like Grey's Anatomy, saving lives, or just a glorified profession' or anything like that, don't waste your time. I wasn't one of those people, I knew it'd be hard but I was wrong. It is more than hard! I have been on my (very busy) ward for three days and I have never felt so physically and emotionally drained in all my life. I'm on shift for nine days straight and don't really get set breaks, for example yesterday I worked 7-4pm and in that time I got one 30 min break at 9.30 and that was it :( 

Anyways, enough of the rant. It may be a busy ward but the patients are lovely, as are the staff, i've learnt so much and I really believe that i'm lickh to have got such an amazing first placement. 

So far I have done vital obs, care planning, wound dressing, washing, meals, injections, bm's, got a look in on up-dating handovers and i think that's about it, even though I know i've missed stuff out as there's so much I have done and learnt. I have even developed further with my communication skills, which suprised me as I have always been a bit of a talker but when an elderly woman (patient) is crying because she's just seen her husband who is also a patient and is looking so unwell. (Was their anniversary too) it sure helps you communicate more effectively. You'll be told in uni that 7% of communication is your words, 38% is your body language and 55% is your body language and they couldn't be more correct! In the short time I have been there I have learnt that it's the little things that can count most, it's the simple touch to a shoulder when a patient is upset, the keen ear when someone is distressed and, the hand to hold when someone is scared or even the reassuring chat when someone is embarrassed because they've had an accident. 

What i'm trying to say (in a round-a-bout fashion) is I LOVE being a student nurse on my one of a kind ward!! 

That's enough for now, more soon! 
TTFN :P 


No comments:

Post a Comment